Tuesday, June 5, 2012

More on Seeds

More on Seeds
Since we'll be moving from this wonderful place very soon, I decided that I needed to collect as many seeds as possible between now and moving day. So I took a walk through the pastures to see what was near or at seed. Unfortunately not as much as I'd hoped, but a few were ready and a few will be in the next week or two. Others I was hoping for won't likely be ready by the time we leave.

So, what seeds did I get so far?

Well, these I harvested today:
1) Lance-leaf Plantain (Plantago lanceolata)
2) Shasta Daisy (Chrysanthemum maximum)

These I already have:
1) Milkweed (Asclepius syriaca)
2) Datura (Datura stramonium)
3) Morning Glory (Ipomoea purpurea)
4) Frans Hals Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Frans Hals')
5) Daffodil (Narcissus spp.)

What I'm hoping to get before leaving:
1) Queen Anne's Lace (Daucus carota)
2) Thistle (Carduus or  Silybum spp.)

There are others stored away that I can't remember at the moment, but suffice it to say....I have more than a few! :)

Today, I also collected a good quantity of American Mandrake roots, 9 Honey Locust seedlings, and 2 Sassafras yearlings. I'll go back into the woods to find other trees to take with me as well. I intend to have a Kansas prairie property graced with several unusual trees that, while able to grow in that climate, are not common on the prairie.

These will all come in as a great "reference" when I open my garden nursery! I can show what's been transplanted, what I harvested and grew myself, and why I will have acquired since moving there. Things are definitely beginning to come together!

No comments:

Post a Comment