Sunday, March 11, 2012

Buttprints & Footprints in the Sand

Buttprints & Footprints in the Sand
The following poems are the Pagan & Christian versions of a walk taken with the Divine. The first is the Pagan's view and the second is the Christian's. There is a marked difference in how each faith views who is responsible for what. Personally, I'll take the Pagan's, as it shows that they take responsibility for their wants, needs, and actions rather than waiting for someone (or the Divine) to do it for them. 
Personally, it is my opinion that this latter view is why there are so many people who blame everything and everyone else for their problems. Rather than getting up and working it out for themselves all they can do is sit on their fat, lazy asses and cry "oh, woe is me!", boo-hoo-hoo. Poor, pathetic saps. They make me sick with disgust and I have zero time or tolerance for them.
There is a quote by Ben Franklin that sums it all up nicely, "God helps those who help themselves." This is probably the most quoted phrase that is thought to come from the Bible but does not. It is in fact a quote by Ben Franklin that was published in a 1757 issue of Poor Richard's Almanac. The Bible actually teaches just the opposite (no wonder there are so many lazy louts out there!). There are multiple verses that express quite clearly that God helps the helpless.


Isaiah 25:4 - "For you have been a defense for the helpless, a defense for the needy in his distress, a refuge from the storm, a shade from the heat..."


Romans 5:6 - "For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly."


Matthew 5:3-10 - The Beatitudes are huge in this message of how to become "sheeple":


"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.
Blessed are the pure of heart, for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called children of God.
Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." 




Regardless, the words of each are beautiful and completely typify the faith system from which they come.
***
Buttprints in the Sand
(Pagan Version)
One night I had a wondrous dream,
One set of footprints there was seen.
The footprints of the Goddess they were,
But mine were not along the shore.
But then some stranger prints appeared,
and I asked Her, "What have we here?
These prints are large and round and neat,
But much too big to be from feet."
"My child," She said in somber tones,
"For miles I carried you alone.
I challenged you to walk in faith,
But you refused and made me wait.
You would not learn, you would not grow.
The walk of faith, you would not know,
So I got tired, I got fed up,
And there I dropped you on your butt.
Because in life, there comes a time,
When one must fight, and one must climb,
When one must rise and take a stand,
Or leave their butt prints in the sand."

~Author  Unknown~

Footprints in the Sand
One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there were one set of footprints. 
This bothered me because I noticed
that during the low periods of my life,
when I was suffering from
anguish, sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints. 
So I said to the Lord,
"You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during
the most trying periods of my life
there have only been one
set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most,
you have not been there for me?" 
The Lord replied,
"The times when you have
seen only one set of footprints,
is when I carried you."
~Mary Stevenson~



AzureGreen- Celebrating All Paths to the Divine


No comments:

Post a Comment