Several weeks ago we were in town running errands when we came across a little black kitten that had just been hit by the car in front of us. They didn't stop. I'm not sure they even knew they'd hit it. Anyway, we stopped, I jumped out and gently picked him up. He couldn't have been 4 or 5 weeks old, and how he got in the middle of the road in the middle of town at rush hour is beyond me. Never mind, why didn't someone stop to save the kitten before he got hit?!
We were less than 1/4 miles from the vet's office so we took him to them to either be helped to live or helped to pass. Unfortunately, after several hours he passed. We brought him home so I could bury him. But while I was burying him I also knew that I would come back for his bones.
Black cats are special. And to be able to obtain black cat bones (humanely) is quite a rare event. I do Bone Throwing but was wanting a Black Cat Bone set. I honestly never figured I'd get one as what are the odds of having a black cat die on you if you don't have cats around? :) So, I was feeling a bit lucky, to say the least.
Today I dug up the bones, cleaned them and have set them to dry. They're so tiny and so beautiful. They're definitely a treasure! I will make a special pouch to carry them in. I will also make a special cloth to read the throws on.
I'll post pictures of the set & the cloth when they're completed.
But now, here are a few black cat facts, fiction, humor & superstitions!
Bombay Black Cat breed has 2 breeds. The British Bombay is from the Asian breed. It is a black long haired Burmese-type cat. The American breed was developed in the United States in 1958 by crossing the Burmese with the American Shorthair to produce a "panther like" cat. It was named after the Indian city of Bombay (now Mumbai).
Black Cat JuJu Dolls are made for their good luck (especially in gambling) and protection properties.
- A strange black cat on your porch brings prosperity. (Scottish)
- A cat sneezing is a good omen for everyone who hears it. (Italian)
- If a black cat lay on the bed of a sick person, that person would die. (Italian & German)
- It is bad luck to see a white cat at night. (American)
- Dreaming of white cat means good luck. (American)
- Cats are not allowed in rooms where private family discussions are going on. (Netherlands)
- Cats spread gossips around the town. (Dutch)
- The life-giving rays of the sun are kept in a cat's eyes at night for safekeeping. (Egypt)
- To kill a cat brings seventeen years of bad luck. (Irish)
- When a black cat crosses your path in the moonlight, there will be an epidemic illness. (Irish)
- Fishermen's wives kept black cats while their husbands were away at sea, believing that the black cats would prevent danger from occurring while their husbands were away. (English)
- A black cat crossing your path is bad luck, but letting one in your house is good luck.
- If a cat jumps over a dead body, the corpse will become a vampire. To stop this, the cat has to be killed.
- Black cats carry the souls of the dead to the other world.(Finland)
- The presence of a black cat foretells of poverty. (Chinese)
What do you get when you cross a black cat with a lemon? A sour puss!
Did you hear about the cat who swallowed a ball of wool? She had mittens.
What is the difference between a cat and a comma? One has the paws before the claws and the other has the clause before the pause.
What do you get when you cross a chick with an alley cat? A peeping tom.
Why don't cats play poker in the jungle? Too many cheetahs.
What is a cat's favorite song? Three Blind Mice.