Sunday, March 11, 2012

Variations on a Theme

Variations on a Theme
Yesterday I posted information regarding using the Psalms in rootwork. I believe that wise words come from many sources, not just one specific belief system. What I find interesting is that regardless of the belief system, the basis of their tenets are always the same and can be basically broken down as "The Golden Rule", i.e. "Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them Do Unto You". OK, there are exceptions who are a breed of whacko's that need to be culled anyway, but even hidden in all their hateful doctrine there are some good words. They just have to be searched hard for.


Now, with that said, and referring back to the Psalms and other Biblical verses, I am always amazed at how many people don't see or understand this concept. Those of one faith system believe that those who alter the words to fit their own belief system are smearing or denigrating "holy words" that they seem to believe belong to them and them alone.


Case in point; I posted the "Buttprints in the Sand" poem (on a social site), which is a Pagan's version of "Footprints in the Sand", with a specific change to it regarding we are responsible for our actions and must get up and do it ourselves, rather than expecting another to carry our load. The post was deleted, I was excoriated, and then banned after they refused to see that I also considered these words "holy" but in no way considered it a slap in the face toward the other version. Oh well, narrow minds deserve their petty butt-licking cohorts, none of whom could see reason or present, let alone understand, logical thinking or train of thought.


The following is a Pagan re-write of the 23rd Psalm (I do not know who the author is or I would credit accordingly), and I'm sure Christians would be all up in arms and fainting with despair or ranting in indignation if they read it. That's their problem. I'm far more open minded than that and enjoy reading and learning various viewpoints on a subject. The words of the Bible are not the end-all and be-all of "holy" words. In fact, they're only some in a group of many, and no one of them being any greater than any other. Just variations on a theme; love, compassion, adoration of the Divine, living a "good" life.


***
The Witch's Psalm
The Goddess is my Mother,
I shall not have need.
She asks that I lie down in moonlit pastures,
She leads me to the twilight's gleam.
She restores my soul.
The Goddess guides my path of self knowledge in the All's ever-glowing knowledge.
Yea, though I will walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I fear not the Crone for she comforts and guides me to my new home.
I fear no evil, for evil is only misunderstood energy.
The Goddess's Wand and Broom guide me every step I take.
She prepares a table for me, next to her.
My enemies are only misunderstood friends, I should not fear.
I will anoint my forehead with blessed oil,
for I am kissed there by the Goddess.
My life truly overflows with love,
because I understand religion is in your heart, not in a temple.
Surely goodness will follow me all the days of my life,
and I dwell in the forest of the Lord and Lady forever.
~Author Unknown~
***



AzureGreen- Celebrating All Paths to the Divine


No comments:

Post a Comment